Introducing Tab Bar Navigation
Coming mid-January 2017, DoubleDutch will be releasing Tab Bar Navigation, an enhancement to our in-app user interface. This update will replace the existing “hamburger menu” with a “tab bar menu.”
Tab bar menu is a standard in the industry, adopted by popular apps such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Yelp. It offers improved in-app navigation, user engagement, and discoverability of key features—without changing any functionality to the app.
Apps that have transitioned from “hamburger menu” to “tab bar menu” have experienced positive engagement results, such as:
- Increase in number of user sessions
- Increase in amount of time users spend per session
- Increase in number of daily active users
- Increase in user satisfaction
- Increase in app speed and user perception of speed
What are the enhancements?
Optimizes Feature Discoverability
- The most important features (such as the Activity Feed, Notifications, and more) are now visible right from any screen
Improves App Navigation
- Provides instant, one-tap access to the key menu items, which are visible on every screens.
- Easily switch to view additional app sections and profile settings
Increases User Engagement
- Increased visibility to key functionality results in more user engagement
- Direct attention to unread notifications, so attendees don't miss a thing
What are the changes?
In the Event App, there are now five menu options persistent on the bottom of each screen.
- The first two items are permanent:
- Activity Feed
In the Studio, organizers can customize the tab bar navigation layout in the following ways:
- Tab Navigation: This section controls what appears in the navigation tab bar in the app. The default feature set is as follows:
- Activity (cannot be moved)
- Notifications (cannot be moved)
- Agenda (default setting, can be customized)
- Channels (default setting, can be customized)
- The first two sections, Activity and Notifications, cannot be changed or moved. Both Activity Feed and Notifications are crucial aspects of user engagement in the app.
- The last two menu sections can be customized with any section such as: Agenda, Channels, Direct Messages, Custom Sections, and more.
- Due to the potential to appear in the tabbed navigation bar, renaming menu features is now limited to 13 characters for those sections listed in the tabbed navigation bar.
- Unless you are using custom icons, all menu icons will be default to gray, and when a menu item is tapped in the tab bar at the bottom of the screen, that icon will change to your primary color set in the CMS.
- The “Search” bar will be permanently available in the “More” page. As a result, “Search” is no longer available on the feature list.
- In the “More” page, the following are now available in a separate section from the feature list. These cannot be changed or disabled:
- App by DoubleDutch
- Logout / Switch Event
Supported Operating System Update
Tab bar navigation (app version 7.0+) is supported on iOS 9.0+ and Android 4.2.2+