Google Play Developer Access Overview
Per Google’s Terms and Conditions, DoubleDutch is not permitted to host customers’ apps in its own Google Play Developer account. Instead, using the Release Manager role, DoubleDutch can gain access to your Google Play Developer account. It allows us to work autonomously and get Android apps published, updated, or fixed as fast as possible.
Note: this role does not allow for changing any fundamental account information. That permission is restricted to the Google account that was registered with the creation of the Google Play Developer account. If necessary, it is possible to grant Release Manager access to only the app or apps created and managed by DoubleDutch. Also, this permission level is given to one functional account within DoubleDutch meant for this work. It is not given to any personal account of a DoubleDutch employee. Access is shared by the team that is responsible for app publishing and management: App Operations.
For more information about Google Play Developer roles, click here.
The common actions that are carried out within a Google Play Developer account by a DoubleDutch App Operations Engineer are the following:
- Create and update app listings (descriptions, images, name, etc)
- Upload APK’s
- Editing distribution details
- Edit (if required by client) app availability
- Edit app age rating
- Unpublish/republish apps
All other aspects of the account are irrelevant to our work.
The reason why we advise clients to grant us Release Manager access is because it is the profile that encompasses all the activities we need to guarantee speedy publishing and troubleshooting if need be.
Inviting DoubleDutch as a Release Manager
To add DoubleDutch as a Release Manager:
- Navigate to the Settings section from your Developer Console. You need to be logged in as the Account Owner (the email used to register for the account). Click 'Users & permissions'.
- Click 'Users & permissions'. Then click 'Invite New User'.
Note: if you don't choose an access expiration date, DoubleDutch will have ongoing access to your Google Play Console account. This is the setting we recommend.
- A pop-up will open that will prompt you to invite a new user via email address. Enter 'email@example.com' as the email and choose 'Release manager' for Role. Then click 'Send Invitation'.
You will receive a confirmation email when DoubleDutch has accepted your invitation. Once the invitation is accepted, DoubleDutch is ready to distribute Android apps on your behalf.