Provisioning Profiles are needed to define how and to which devices your app will be distributed. Without a Provisioning Profile, you cannot distribute an app through the App Store, or through your own internal distribution method.
- Go to Apple Developer and log in with your credentials.
- Click on 'Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles'.
- Click on the 'Profiles' section. Then click on the '+' next to the "Profiles" title.
- Select the radio button next to “App Store” underneath the Distribution heading. This is the Provisioning Profile needed in order to be able to upload your app to App Store Connect. Then click on the 'Continue' button at the top.
Note: if you are publishing your app via Enterprise Distribution you will select "In House" instead of "App Store".
- Next, you will be asked to select an App ID with which to associate this Provisioning Profile. Click on the drop-down list and select the App ID that belongs to your app. Then click the 'Continue' button.
- Next, you will be asked to select the Distribution Certificate that this Provisioning Profile will be linked to. Most likely, you will have only one. Select that certificate by clicking on the radio button next to it. Then click 'Continue'.
- The final step is to give this Provisioning Profile a name. It is best to give it the same name as your app. You can also include today’s date, to document the date of creation. Then click on 'Generate'.
- You can then download the generated Provisioning Profile and save it to your desktop.
Continue to the next step in the distribution process: How to Re-Codesign Your App.