You can create a new app and event within the CMS if you have admin level access. The app creation process is two-step, starting with the details of your event followed by building your app.
Note: event creation is required in order to build your app.
To create a new app, let's get started with creating an event:
- Click on the event picker in the top right-hand corner.
- Then click on 'Manage Users & Events' at the bottom.
- Click on 'Create New App'.
- Read through the text in the pop-up message, which confirms the account you will be creating your app under (this is important for users that have access to events across more than one account with DoubleDutch).
- Next, you'll move on to set up the details of the new event you'll be adding to your new app.Start by entering your Event Name (up to 45 characters) and the start and end dates for your event. You can either create a brand new event with a blank template, or you can copy from an existing event that you have admin access to. If you choose to copy from an existing event, you can choose to copy all content, or to only select custom content from that previous event. Click 'Next'.
Additionally, please note the following:
- All settings will copy over except Lead Retrieval (default off) and Attendee Session Tracking (default off).
- Disabled emails will not get copied.
- Topic Channels will not get copied.
- Push Notifications and Promoted Posts are set to occur in the future, so once your event is created you will need to go in and set the correct date and time.
- Layout sections are copied over even if there is no content.
- The event's header image and icon will be copied.
- Web Views will be copied.
- Attendees are never copied, but attendee groups will be copied. If you have an attendee list that is the same or very similar from event to event, you can export your attendee list from the previous event, make any necessary additions/deletions and then import the file in the new event.
- The Info Views checkbox allows you to select to copy all or copy no Info Views. (You cannot select specific ones.)
- Maps will take a while to copy so they will appear in the new event a bit later than the rest of your content.
- On the next screen, you'll be able to select your event type. You can use the arrows to scroll left and right through the different event types. Choose the one that matches closest to your event. Click 'Next'.
- On the next screen, you’ll enter the name of the app as it’ll be referred to within the CMS, and in the Welcome Email you can send to attendees with instructions and a link to download. You’ll configure the full details of your app as it will appear in the App Store and Google Play store later on. Click 'Next'.
- The next screen will show a confirmation of the information that you have entered so far. When finished, click 'Create Event'.
- Your event will be built (this may take a minute) and you'll eventually see a confirmation screen.
- On the next screen, you'll enter in some additional details of your event, including a description, an estimated number of attendees, and the time zone for your event (please select carefully, as the time zone impacts a number of time-based items in your event app such as session reminders). You'll also select the registration type which determines how attendees gain access to your event app, as well as the primary color that will display in the app. Click 'Next'.
- Next, you'll add in your media assets for this specific event. Your event icon will appear in the "select event" menu that a user sees after the login screen. The iOS header image will appear at the top of the activity feed on iOS devices only. For event media assets specs, please visit the Media Assets Specs support article. Click 'Next'.
Now that you’ve fully created your event, its time to build your app!
To continue with the app creation process:
As you fill in the details of your app, the phone screenshot on the right will populate with your information so you can see what it’ll look like on your users’ devices.
- Enter the full name of the app that you’d like to appear in the app store. You’ll also need to choose a 2nd and 3rd option just in case your first choice name is not available. Type in a short name as well. The short name appears under the app icon on users' devices.
Note: for the short name, make sure it is consistent with the name you are using in the app store. Otherwise, Apple will reject the app. For more information on this, click here.
- Next, you’ll edit the description of your app. You can use the pre-populated guide as a template or you can fully customize your own.
- On the next screen, you’ll upload your media assets. This will include the graphic you want to use for your app icon, as well as the Android feature graphic and the iOS splash screen. Please be mindful of the image sizes and formats included in the instructions on this screen. For app media assets specs, please visit the Media Assets Specs support article. Click 'Next'.
After your assets are uploaded, you’ll do a final review of all your information and submit your app to DoubleDutch to be built. From this final screen, you’ll have the ability to set up an integration to pull data from your registration system or continue on with a tour of the rest of the CMS to work on your event content.
Afterward, your DoubleDutch representative will send you a new .ipa file (for iOS) so you can complete the app distribution process in the Apple App store. We will update the Android version of your app for you, as long as we have Google Play Release Manager access. Otherwise, we will send you an .apk file (for Android) so you can update the Android app on your own.