The following is an explanation of how the DoubleDutch platform interacts with different devices. We only require permissions that are needed for the app to function as designed and gather usage stats for performance improvement. All of the permissions a user will be asked to accept are covered below.
- Push: we request permission to send push notifications to the user on his/her first login to the app. This is to enable global push notifications (sent through the CMS) as well as social activity notifications (activity of people that a user chooses to follow, and when other people like or comment on a user's status updates).
- Location: we request permission to access the current location of a user even when he/she is not using the app. This enables us to monitor for beacon signals even while the app is running in the background. The feature in the app that leverages beacon signals is the iBeacon messages. To work, this requires that (1) the user grants "Always Allow" location permission and (2) the user has enabled Bluetooth on the device.
- Photos: we require this permission to cache information locally on the device to enable offline usage and faster performance. This permission allows the app to access photos saved on the device in order to be posted in the application.
- Calendar Access: we require this permission to enable push of "My Agenda" to the device calendar. Without this, the app would be unable to add the attendee's schedule to their device calendar if he/she chooses to do that.
- Identity (Your Accounts): this allows the app to access the email address associated with the device and present it to the user during Sign-In.
- Contacts: this allows us to read the user's contact to pre-fill the profile filler and the "choose email" part of sign-in. We only look at the "Me" contact to get the profile picture, name, email, occupation, and occupation title. This makes the sign-in process much easier, as the user is not required to type in an email address or fill out fields manually.
- Calendar: we require this permission to enable syncing of "My Agenda" with the device calendar. Without this, we would only be able to add events and the calendar would create duplicates each time the 'sync my agenda' was pressed.
- Location: we require access to the GPS to enable us to track the latitude and longitude of each status update. This data is only used internally by DoubleDutch to monitor and improve product performance. We also request permission to access the current location even while the app is not in use. This enables us to monitor for beacon signals even while the app is running in the background. Features in the app that leverage beacon signals include location based (iBeacon) messages. To work, these features require that (1) the user grants location permissions and (2) that Bluetooth is enabled on the user's device.
- Phone: when we ask for Contacts permission, Android forces us to also request the Phone permission, even though DoubleDutch does not use it for anything in the app.
- Photos/Media/Files: we require this permission to cache information locally on the device to enable offline usage and faster performance.