One way to creatively drive engagement in your app is by setting up a Scavenger Hunt. This program challenges your attendees to complete a series of actions and reward them with Achievements on their profile in the app, signifying that they’ve completed the program. You can even have the virtual recognition tie to real life prizes at your event!
Achievements are configured to be tied to status updates in the app. With custom achievements you have the option of associating them with QR codes that are tied to items in the app (i.e. each exhibitor booth at your event).
Scavenger Hunts are based on clues that you provide to attendees. With this tactic you will create hidden QR code-based check-in objects and special corresponding achievements. Once the attendee has successfully completed the check-ins in the designated order, the corresponding achievement will be unlocked.
Add New Section:
- Select the “Layout” section in the CMS
- Under “Layout” select “Add New Section”
- Select the “Custom List” option
- Give the new section a title
- Example: “Badge Check-In”
- Click “Save New Section”
- The new section will appear at the top of the Layout screen
Hide the App Section
- Uncheck the box next to the section name
- Click publish changes to save them in the app
Once you have created your new section in the CMS, you must add items into that section. These items will be what your attendee’s check-in to for them to earn a custom achievement. Each of these items will be linked to a corresponding QR code that attendees will scan with their app. The attendee should expect to see the item appear after they scan the QR code, then enabling then to check-in and comment to unlock the custom achievement. Take note that posts to hidden items in the app will not display in the Activity Feed. This prevents the ability to cheat by simply going to the item within the app and checking in there.
- Select the “Content” section in the CMS
- Select the new section that was just created, i.e. “Badge Check-In”
- Click the “Add Items” button at the top of the page
Add Item Details:
1. Place a Title on the added item that is related to the achievement the attendee will earn a. i.e. if DoubleDutch is an exhibitor, than title the item “DoubleDutch Station”
2. In the description, write directions so the attendee knows how they can earn the achievement i.e. “Tap the pencil icon to post an update in this hidden item to earn your achievement.”
- **Scanning the QR code itself is not enough for the achievement to be earned, the attendee must check-in, i.e. post a status update
3. Click “Add item”
4. Repeat this process to create all of the items you need
After you have created your items in the CMS you must then generate a URL for each item. With these URLs you will be able to build the necessary QR Codes for attendees to scan at the event and check-in to the hidden section.
Item List Report:
1. Select the “Event Performance” section in the CMS
2. Select the “Exportable Reports” tab on the left of the screen
3. Underneath “Content Engagement” – Select “Content Activity" to pull a report. A CSV file with all the items in the app will be downloaded.
Item ID Selection:
- Open the downloaded CSV file
- Copy the 8 digit code “ItemID” – this is found under Column C of the file. Each 7 digit code will be associated with the item name (Column E) i.e. in this screen shot you see “ACME Corporation” is associated with the Item ID in Column C
- Take the 8 digit code for the Item that you retrieved in the CSV file and place it into this format: dd://item/itemID# i.e. dd://item/8168673
Once you have set up the items in the CMS, the next step is to create QR codes that link to each of these items. This will ensure that when the attendee scans the QR code, they will be taken to the exhibitor’s achievement in the app.
How to build a QR code:
- Find a QR code generator, for example Kaywa QR Code: http://qrcode.kaywa.com/
- Make sure the “URL” option is selected
- In the blank box on the page, take the URL for the item that you created in step 3 of the previous pag i.e. dd://item/8168673
- Make sure to select the “Static” option next to the “Generate” button
- Click “Generate” and the QR code will appear in the square box to the left
After the QR code has been created, the final step is to build the achievement that will be associated with each code. When the attendees scan the QR code it will be associated with the item in the app. After they scan and update a status to that item, the attendee will then earn the custom achievement that is associated with this code. With Passport Programs and Scavenger Hunts attendees will have to visit each item (i.e. exhibitor booth) to scan and earn the achievement.
How to create an achievement:
- Select the “Setup” section in the CMS
- Select the “Gamification” tab on the left-hand side of the screen
- Click the “Add Achievement” button
Part 1: Achievement Setup Details
- Upload a picture for the achievement – this picture could be, for example, the exhibitor’s logo. Select the “Upload Image” button and choose the achievement image. Requirements: 500x500 jpg or png file
- Give the achievement a name. Make sure to name it something relevant to the achievement itself i.e. “DoubleDutch” – given to attendees who checked into the DoubleDutch booth
- Fill out the description field for the achievement. Write a congratulations or confirmation message in this field to describe why the attendee has earned the achievement i.e. for the “DoubleDutch” achievement the description could say: “Congrats you have unlocked the achievement! Thanks for visiting our booth for more information. Head to the DoubleDutch booth next to stay in the hunt!”
Part 2: Earning the Achievement
4. Assign the number of check-in’s required to earn the achievement For Passport Programs you have two options:
a) Set “Status Updates” equal to 1. When attendees scan and post a status update they automatically earn the achievement. This way you will need to create a QR code and an achievement for each item you would like associated within your program.
b) Set “Status Updates” greater than 1. You can create 1 QR code that has status updates set to two or more. This will allow you to use the same QR code for multiple exhibitors. Attendees can unlock the achievement by scanning the QR code for the amount of times you have specified in the CMS. This makes it easier for you as you have one QR code to manage rather than an individual QR code for each exhibitor. Just be sure to name the item that is associated with that QR code something generic, like “hidden item”, so that it is applicable to all scans.
5. Associate the Item in the Items box Start typing the hidden item name and the CMS will drop down all the options and then Select the item you would like to link
6. Start and End times can be associated with the achievement, but this is NOT a requirement. For Passport Programs and Scavenger Hunts you can select start and end times to ensure that attendees only have a certain time frame to earn each achievement. This will give attendees incentive to scan and check-in before the allocated time runs out. They will also remain on track for earning the achievements in their queue for the hunt.
7. Click “Save Changes” to complete the process
8. Repeat this process to create all of the achievements you need
To ensure that you created the QR code and linked it to the correct item, you should test the codes as a final step. Remember that to earn the achievement the attendee must check-in after scanning the QR code.
How to test:
- Scan the QR code with the QR code reader in the app. The QR code reader is available within the app as a section that can be enabled on the layout page. Go to “Layout” in the CMS --> Check the box next to the app section name (QR Scanner) to activate the scanner in the app and make it available for attendees
- Check-in to the item that appears for that QR code. The item is automatically associated as the check-in item
- Write a status update and post it
- Get a Confirmation Card with the achievement image